6.06.2009

on why archery is dangerous...

To become more equipped as part of the staff here at camp, I recently took a class to become certified in basic archery. It's true, I am a card-carrying-bullseye-shooting certified archer. Something I can honestly say I never thought I would do. In my training I learned that archery can be more accident-free than basketball, baseball and even soccer. Archery offers a controlled environment where injuries are rare. 

I beg to differ...

Whilst learning the "ins and outs" of shooting a bow and arrow, I managed to sustain two pretty substantial (yet really very minor) injuries. 
Injury #1:
I went to the big ol' target after we had shot our arrows to pull them out of the board, and while fixing my eyes upon my brightly feathered arrow, I somehow managed to run right into a bright orange arrow right by my left eye. HOW did I not see the bright orange feathers?? I don't know. Minimal blood from a tiny cut and a tiny bruise... but a really hurt ego. I ran into an arrow. Embarrassing. 

Injury #2:
Looking something like Robin Hood himself, I was all set to shoot my arrow right at the target, but when I released I snapped that bow string right into the crook of my elbow. Now I have a nice green bruise about 2 inches long.

Hooray for archery! Somehow, I am not sure that archery is my strong point. I hope to do a better job of teaching children...

5 comments:

Sizzledowski said...

That's pretty much awesome. and funny. I hope it's ok that I'm laughing at your pain! :)

Carol said...

OH My!!! You didn't tell me you were wounded. I hope all of your future endeavors with said bow and arrow cause you much less pain. (I did chuckle just a tiny bit though, sorry :( LOve you.

kaley said...

ew.

Anonymous said...

Camp is no tame lion Tara. You have to watch yourself around every corner of "The Nature". -val

Gina said...

member when you fell off of one of our very first low elements...you know back when it was in the picnic area? member? that was a doosie of a bruise. you have a knack for getting bruised. just sayin.