7.29.2008

the suspense builds

About a week and a half ago this Day Camper broke his arm. To sum up the incident, it was terrible. We weren't even doing any organized dangerous camp group game yet- he was running around in the soccer field with his friends and rammed his bony little arm into a soccer goal post. Now, he has a blue cast from his wrist to shoulder. Great.
In spite of it all, he is here for camp this week and the next. For anyone that may be unsure, camp is situated on a point where a river meets the bay. Lots o' water... and my 8 yr old friend can't get that blue cast wet. Anyway, I talked to his parents about maybe letting him watch a movie during the hour and 45 minutes of pool time we have every day (instead of sitting in the sun while all of his friends play). So today, that's what he did. He and a friend (to keep him company) came to watch a movie while I ...attempted... to do some work.
So to get to the point, we watched the G rated flick, "Herbie, Fully Loaded". Now, I do not consider myself a movie critic, at all. Infact, I don't really like movies that I know are good. I know these movies are good because they win stuff and everyone sits around talking about how good they are (for example, Lord of the Rings... I'd rather stick my hand in a toaster...) But regardless of my admitting I have poor taste in movies and admitting I actually love movies with no depth and predictable endings, I am still going to impress upon you my feelings on Herbie. I admit, I thoroughly enjoyed that movie. Couldn't bring myself to do work on the computer because I just really felt concerned for the well being of that '63 VW bug. I found myself really invested in the relationship between the girl and her car. I feel attached to Herbie, like if I talk bad about him I might actually hurt his feelings.
Best part is, we had to cut it off before the end because it was time for Snack Shop. Which means I get to watch the big race at the end of the movie tomorrow-- will Herbie win? ...will Maggie get to drive?!

2 comments:

Nick and Kaley said...

now I don't feel so bad about ordering Nancy Drew on demand and really liking it.

Gina said...

And the suspense sure is building as I check your blog daily looking for a glimpse into your life.....hint hint.