12.09.2010

advent.

I. love. Christmas. Did you know that about me? I do. Very much. It's my favorite. And I love having almost an entire month to completely immerse myself in all things Christmas. There is so much great anticipation- so much preparation during the Christmas season. And, in this season, I am reminded to prepare myself for the coming of Christ. I mean, I know he's already come... but as we celebrate Christmas it is so important to me to not loose sight of the celebration of Jesus.
Over on this other blog (a "work" blog, if you will) I have been sharing some thoughts for these weeks of Advent. And I just love Christmas so much that I thought I would share the posts with you. We're a week behind so I will post last week's first.
Week 1: on Hope.
Advent means the arrival of something awaited, or the coming. We are currently in the Christmas season (hooray!) also known as Advent. The season of Advent celebrates the arrival of one very awaited, Jesus.

Growing up we always had an Advent wreath with four candles- and we would light another one each Sunday leading up to Christmas day. At home we had three purple candles and one pink candle, because that's what they had in the manger years ago. Just kidding. Sorry... but seriously I don't think that the colors matter that much in the season of Advent- I have seen different churches have four royal blue candles or just four purple even four red candles displayed. Some include a white candle in the middle, the Christ candle. I have heard really nice stories of why the round wreath explains that God's love is like a circle, it never ends. And the wreath being covered in greens is another example of God's everlasting love or enduring life. Nice. But it's a tradition, not necessarily tried and true theology.

That being said- I thought this blog could celebrate a little Advent each week leading up to Christmas. Because, let's not forget that this entire season is, in fact, celebrating the arrival of the awaited and anticipated Christ, Jesus, Savior, King.

As for week 1- hope.
The prophet Isaiah told what was coming... he gave the people of the Old Testament (and even us today) the hope that a child would be born who would be our wonderful counselor, who would reign with peace and righteousness.
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this." Isaiah 9:6-7

And indeed, God used Mary... and when told that she would be the one to give birth to baby Jesus, the savior of the world this was her response: “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. (Luke 1:38).

And so, Jesus Christ was born, fully God and fully man- born to a girl named Mary. The Prince of Peace had come, just as Isaiah said he would.
"And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord." Luke 2:8-11

"The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told." Luke 2:20

They hoped for a savior. Something like 700 years earlier the prophet Isaiah promised the Christ was coming. I imagine that people hoped, and they hoped, and they hoped. And it was fulfilled. "...a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord." (Luke 2:11)

This week in Advent I pray that we would place our hope in Christ, in the promises of His scriptures. The savior of the world has been born- and we have the blessed Advent season to remember the coming hope. The coming of our hope, Jesus Christ- The coming of Christmas.

So that's that. Merry, Merry Christmas to you- and happy Advent... just thought I would share since I have not been 100% diligent in writing on this blog...

2 comments:

Kristi-Anna said...

I love this. :)

kaley said...

Glory to God in the highest!