8.07.2010

let's talk about Newport

Newport, Rhode Island, it is one of the loveliest places. Ben and I went there for a quick minute last weekend. That is really what it felt like. We were able to have a couple of days off from camp to travel to Rhode Island for a wedding. It was a lovely wedding and the bride and groom were beaming- but oddly enough that isn't really why we were there. Two of our dear friends were in the wedding and they have three lovely children that needed their attention (while wedding weekend plans were also vying for their attention) so we were the resident babysitters. 6 years old, 18 months old and 3 months old. Yes, we are crazy and yes, actually it was a lovely time. For the most part I held the 3 month old, Ben held the 18 month old and we simultaneously tried to entertain the 6 year old.


We were thankful for the opportunity to spend time with the kids and we even had a few hours to kind of tour Newport, just Ben and me. And let me tell you, I love it. The weather was an awesome 78 degrees and the landscape was beautiful. The ocean, as always, was magical and cobblestone streets always grab my attention. I love that little detail that older towns seem to have.

When we traveled to see the ocean (and by travel I mean drive 5 minutes, because it is Rhode Island) we found gorgeous stones everywhere. Since our visit to San Diego I have learned that it isn't only the coastal plains that lead to the ocean- but I still am impressed by the rocky terrain.


And let's talk about the hydrangeas. Okay, apparently New England is like the hydrangea capital of the world. I am not sure why this is, but they were everywhere and beautiful. I know they grow where I live too, but they were just so pretty and abundant in Newport.


I may partially enjoy Newport so much because it reminds me a little of a bigger downtown Annapolis. Is this Newport? or Annapolis? Tough to say. (but really, this picture is of Newport). So many sailboats. love.


We even ate some clam chowdah.
So, Newport, RI- you should stop there if you ever get the chance. I'll come too.

4 comments:

Jena Carper said...

:) Newport sounds like fun!

Filia Dei said...

Beautiful, I'm glad you got to go and it's scary how natural Ben looks ith those two little ones in his arms. Maybe not scary.

Has he lost weight??;)

Anonymous said...

I love all these pictures. So wonderful! So cute!

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the wedding. Maggie and Max are SOOOOOOOOO cute with their Uncle Ben! love the pictures see you next week!

-Sarah