11.09.2008

learning to knit

This weekend my sweet friend was patient enough to teach me and two other craft-seeking friends how to knit. It took us all about 2 1/2 hours to get to the point where we "understood" how to do it. Whether or not any of us were able to knit well, is another story. I don't know exactly why I want to learn to knit. My aunt is a fabulous crochet-er and I have lovely scarves and blankets that she has been kind enough to give me (and I am looking to try and convince you to make me another blanket this winter, Carolyn). But Anyway, I guess I just kind of wanted a hobby. I don't really have any. No, really, I don't. When asked what it is I like to do, I find it hard to come up with an answer. I like being with people. Is that a hobby? I don't think so. Not to mention, Christmas is coming and it would be nice to knit a scarf for someone, perhaps. The thing is, I am not so sure this knitting thing is easy... or fun. I have watched people knit, and it looks so lovely, such a simple fluid motion. And let me tell you, my fingers are sore and my scarf is very short after my four hours of work yesterday. This "scarf" in my picture is just practice though, I am hoping better yarn will help. And, it did get easier as I practiced. I am even thinking that it will soon be enjoyable (maybe).

And then, I will have a hobby...


"What do you like to do in your spare time, do you have any hobbies?"
"I like to be with people. And knit. I love to knit."

6 comments:

Carol said...

Wow Tara I am impressed, you trying your hand at knitting! (pun intended!) Your Grandma L. would be so proud of you too. She was a fantastic kintter, your mom and I would ask for something knitted, and before we knew it mom had it done!! As for your new winter blanket, I would be happy to CROCHET you one...color???size??? just let me know. As for you just keep knitting, you will get it and it is fun to do. I love you, Carolyn

cottage girl said...

I LOVE that picture. Such pretty light! And look at the progress you've made! Those are some pretty stitches. Maybe you are a natural and just never knew it.

Diana said...

I can never answer what my hobby is. I don't have one either. I'm thinking about taking a sewing class in the spring when life slows down after the baby.

My kids also love Carolyn's blankets!

Way to go NL in learning how to knit! My hubby is very proud that his friend is now knitting. Tara, is your hubby into it too? What's going on down there at the bay with those guys.

Love or Nothing said...

tara, i love to knit! you'll get the hang of it quickly if you stick with it. and scarves make really good gifts for people for Christmas!

Joge said...

Tara,
I love that you're knitting. It's my turn to learn how from my mom. She's taught all of my sisiters. Now that I'm back in the midwest it'll be cold enough to actually feel like knitting. Keep it up!

I'm a little like you in that I never know how to answer the hobbie question, although, I LOVE to bake! Cookies, brownies, tarts, bars, cakes, breads etc. It is a creative release for me. I don't know if it'd be considered a hobby or not. What is a hobby, exactly?
Anyway, the more free time I have, the more I cook. I love flipping through a trusted, familiar cookbook (NOT the internet) and selecting the right dessert for the event, season, person(s) consuming it, etc. Then I love making a shopping list and finally, creating a (hopefully) scrumptious snack.

lois said...

Tara, Your Grandmother knitted me a hat and scarf once, I bet I still have it because they just mean so much to me! I just read back on your blog and saw how much you dislike cold, up there. Can't wait for you to come south.. it's warm and wonderful here.
Love you....lois