12.12.2010

the most wonderful time of the year. really.

And it has only just begun. At least, that is what I am telling myself since I have done zero percent of my Christmas shopping. So far this beloved Christmas season I have done a lot of wonderful things. Some things successful, some not so successful.

Let's start with not so successful. The National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony. I can't be sure why this is a big deal because I don't think that people have actually put real candles in trees since the movie "Holiday Inn". (Which by the way, I watched for the first time this year. It's good. A little weird... but good). Anyway, nevertheless, there are tree "lighting" ceremonies 'round the country where lights are plugged in (in a very ceremonial way, I am sure) and there is much rejoicing. So some of my dear girl friends and I decided to go this year. None of us had never been so we thought, heck, we should check it out. We bundled (I mean bundled) up and headed to DC. Well, you need tickets. Apparently. And everyone in line knew this but us. Apparently. But we felt okay about this. Not to mention... are you ready for this?... the tree is not even real. It's like a giant green ice cream cone placed upside down with lights on it. This is our Nation's Capital people. And we can't get a real tree? Mr. Rockefeller could... but not us. Oh well. Either way, we enjoyed ourselves for a while downtown and decided to check out the Botanical Gardens for a very beautiful real Christmas tree on display. A lovely alternate plan.

We have also decorated Christmas cookies. One of my favorite traditions held in my tiny dining room.

As usual I mostly just dipped cookies into icing and ate them. But, as usual, many created some very nice cookie creations.

I had a slumber party for my birthday (with myself) in the living room so I could sleep by the tree and watch Christmas movies. I wouldn't be sad to do this every night during the Christmas season- but I don't think the husband and I could stand too many nights with the sofa bed springs jabbing into our backs (oh yea, the slumber party included my husband, of course).
Still, it was bliss... the consumption of ferrero rocher's next to the Christmas tree, paired with "The Holiday" playing.

We also had our winter retreat at camp this month. Lots of kids, staff and fun.
And these two made an appearance.
Based loosely off of this... (so bad, it's good.)

That's what's been going on. Hopefully I will have no time to blog the rest of this week because I will be up to my ears in wrapping paper for all the Christmas gifts I've bought! (big dreams, friends. big dreams)...

3 comments:

Kristi-Anna said...

This post makes me so happy. :0)

Kaley said...

you had a slumber party in your living room.

Anonymous said...

ugh...now I have to watch The Holiday.