8.30.2010

dieting distress

So my uncle, my dear, dear uncle, has been through a lot these last few weeks. He was diagnosed with diabetes a few weeks ago and put on a "strict" diet and some medication to help maintain this unfortunate (but manageable) new lifestyle. He and my aunt were doing pretty well with cutting back on portion sizes and cutting back on sugar. way. to. go.

And then a routine blood pressure test showed that his heart was not... um, functioning so great...
A meeting with the cardiologist and 5 bypasses later- I have found myself in Florida spending time with my aunt and uncle in the hospital-- My uncle, who is currently recovering from open heart surgery. I have watched the nurses treat him like a pin cushion, poking and prodding at his arms, legs and chest- all for good reason, I know. He dons a scar the length of my forearm that is really healing quite well. And overall, I must say, his speedy recovery, (at his age) is impressive. And I am so very thankful that he is getting better.
So he gets to come home from the hospital soon and then he is turned over to my aunt. My sweet aunt- who will soon be his nurse and nutritionist. She is a strong and prepared woman- bless her heart- but overwhelmed by what this man can and cannot eat. I have been guilty of mentally "rolling my eyes" at her a few times. Thinking, how hard can this be? You eat food that is balanced and good for you, and leave out the junk that isn't. You're making a mountain out of a mole-hill, clearly. To prove how easy this will be I start to search the internet and read through all of the literature the dieticians at the hospital have given her. This will be doubly productive for me, because I can help them and help myself...
It will help me, you see, because I (somewhat unfortunately and uncontrollably) allow new ailments to haunt me everywhere I go. Heart disease and diabetes it is-- That's right, I have done my research and I am prepared to be armed and ready against these plagues. Not that I hadn't heard of these commonplace issues before- but it has crept into my own family. So now it is my completely sincere prayer to protect myself against my own hysteria. I am a self-diagnosed (of course!) hypochondriac. And it comes in waves. I can be reasonable. And I can be bad- real bad. When people near and dear to my heart have some illness or issue I usually become an advocate (and I become fearful) for that thing. When skin cancer hit my little community of people (ahem), I suddenly felt as though I was hired by the foundation for skin to remind everyone around me about the importance of SPF. Some don't like to listen to me (ahem), but a girl can only do so much. Now, I'm on to heart disease. All kidding aside, when it hits "home" you can't help but to think about the food you eat or the amount of activity you engage in, when you see the true result of poor cardiac care.

So, I am reading up on my diabetes/heart disease prevention and let me tell you I ate my words. You know, my words about, how hard can this be? You eat food that is balanced and good for you and leave out the food that isn't... That's right, eating. my. words. I mean there is truth to that statement, yes- but I have experienced first hand that it is just not that simple.
What have I learned?
As a type 2 diabetic you need to be careful of your carb intake. So bacon is okay because it's not carbs. You should also eat margrine because it is lower in fat and cholesterol than butter. Eat/drink all the sugar-free stuff you can get your hands on, because well, it's sugar-free. Be careful of low-fat packaged foods, because often times when fat comes out, sugar goes in. Eat your fruits and veggies but certain fruits and veggies only in moderation, like, pineapple, carrots and bananas. Eat white bread/pasta/rice in moderation. Don't eat rice. Eat an english muffin over a bagel.
Although...
As a person trying to prevent heart-disease or live life after bypass surgery: you should watch your fat intake- bacon is no good (I totally called that one...) And butter, light butter, is probably better because it is real stuff from the cow- but really, ideally you shouldn't keep butter or margarine in the house. Sugar-free options that contain sucralose and aspartame may make your figure look better for now but some studies show they are not great happy-heart options when consumed regularly. Eat low-fat always. Eat only whole grains, and multi grain doesn't always mean whole grain. Eat a bagel. Eat rice. Stand on your head.
It's crazy!
But, I know that everything in moderation is a good rule to live by. It is also key to control portion sizes- know guidelines like eat a piece of chicken the size of your palm. A donut is a carb. So is an apple. The apple is the better choice. I can help my aunt and uncle with these common sense things that I know (things my uncle has not always been known to adhere to...) but I have to hand it to them- this stuff isn't always easy. And if you talk to two or three dieticians in a day you will absolutely hear conflicting details.
My aunt has always said that if she could, she would just take a pill that had every last bit of nutrition she needed for every meal. She has never "loved" food. I have not been able to understand this somewhat perplexing admission of hers. Suddenly it has become a little more clear to me. Eating is tough- especially when someone is telling you there is a certain way you have to do it... or not... but kind of... whatever.
I wonder if there is any chocolate ice cream around here...

2 comments:

Nick and Kaley said...

glad uncle is doing well.

Sunscreen is for wusses.

I'll order you a subscription to Shape Magazine.

Love you HLM.

Kristi-Anna said...

This is a fantastic post Bo-Bara. So glad that Uncle is recovering so quickly... Solution: move to Austria with me. :0) I see 70 year olds hiking around like they were 24 and in heels! There is something in the air here... Bring your family and cast your curls and cares away. :0)